.

.

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

And who shall I say is calling?

I don’t want the dust to settle down. Where do you see yourself in the next five years would invite some interesting answers now :) Ever got the feeling that everything is pre-planned and it would’ve been more prudent to trust your instincts from the start? It’s a lot like traffic – random, tedious and mostly unnecessary.  

Speaking of which, Ive been traveling a lot over the last week - I went to Ramnagara, Chennai and Hyderabad, and in that order. 

Ramnagara is called the Silk Town, where Sholay was supposedly shot and is quite a beautiful place. Doesn’t quite have the small-town charm but it was a good break. I was there only for a day. We ate the famous ragimudhe, drank lots of sugarcane juice, learnt about silk reeling, met loadsa people and generally chilled out.

Ironically, I met a Kannur Muslim family – they were three sisters who were married to three brothers (why do people do this) from Karnataka and they hated it here. They missed mallu food, mallu people, mallu weather…..well, mallu life. They were pretty happy to be able to talk to me, though my Malayalam is quite shaky. They spoke nineteen to dozen about everything under the sun and while I was leaving they asked “Chaya edukatte?” (shall I make some tea?). I was really delighted, Kerela chaya is definitely my cup of tea:)

Left to myself, I would have never gone to Chennai or Hyderabad again simply because it’s trouble handed on a silver platter, complete with garnishing and side-orders. Chennai, I had to go for a meeting. Only it didn’t feel like Chennai at all. Even the auto-drivers seemed tame, the weather was nice and seeing the pre-paid counter at the railway station did not make my insides flip. Ditto Galloping Gooseberries, TDS and even the Taj Coromondel.  But once, I had to cross my old house to meet one of my friends who also stayed in the same building, but I resolutely looked away. I feel a vague sort of disconnect these days that is quite hard to shake off. I would say it’s some sort of an acquired nonchalance, difficult to put in words.    

Hyderabad, unlike Chennai was different since I didn’t quite know where the places to avoid were located. And it is bearable, if you go by train and avoid the airport. I met three of my really good friends, and felt more like myself again though the feeling was short-lived. Me meeting them after a good year-and-a-half, but we could easily pick up from where we left off. That’s very important I feel, because drifting apart is one thing, but moving on to speak different languages is another. Many a times, when I talk to people who've been my friend for years, I suddenly find that we don’t get the other anymore. It’s a sinking feeling, that…and then from there on, you remain friends only for old times’ sake, and talk only about mundane stuff and wish each other on birthdays and New Years…

Anyways, we hung out – talked for eons about nothing, cooked over silly jokes (made awesome poha, tomato pasta and cheese & pineapple sticks), listened to music in the dark, smoked up, went on mall-marathons and even tried the famous fish spa, where “doctor fish” are your masseurs. Twas quite freaky at first, and then pretty ticklish, not to mention ridiculously overpriced. My phone cam gave out and therefore I don’t have ready pics to post.

I ended up doing a lot of stuff against my better judgment though. I actually lunched at Waterfront; never thought I could go back there. It didn’t seem quite so scary in the afternoon, though I am not sure I would’ve survived a dinner there. And I did feel a pang when I saw the Cinema Paradiso and the W showroom :(. But why does it seem like from another life sometimes and so painfully sad at others?? :(           

And while we're on that, when will I meet John Galt?           

Anyways, I was talking about traffic. Yes, traffic really !!! I mean, REALLY, come to think of it. Wow, the time each person has on his hands to reach wherever he must, the resources at his disposal - vehicles and all that, and where he has to go and why…wow…aint it perfectly symbolic??? My respect for traffic just leapfrogged :)  It even captures things like the divide, which is irrelevant since emotions aint relative. No, they are not, which is not fair, since we tend to pretend they are and try to count blessings. Atleast I do. Well, that’s a different debate, so lets leave that on the side for a bit.

Anyways, everything sort of blends and sorts itself and you eventually begin to believe it couldn’t have been any other way because if there was any better, it would’ve happened. I am not there yet, but the subscribers to this theory can do no better than place all their bets on the future :) The other extreme must be the sorts who claim to know precisely which side of their bread is buttered at any given point of time :)          

True no? What do you say??     

P.S: Forever is a stupid word.

4 comments:

Roy said...

what happened to forever? something like never?

Abhijha said...

Reading the last 2 paragraphs, I was like what is she on :D Then I realized she must be high on life :)

VJ said...

Never is equally senseless unless you get existential - what do you think??

@jhaji - High on life ?? Oh, how I wish...

Roy said...

I think always makes more sense than never. This is getting too metaphorical but some things always stay with you hence its greater meaning.

Snap Shots

Get Free Shots from Snap.com

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP