.

.

Thursday, August 20, 2009

Mama's Mess

Ok, this is not about what the title sounds like:) So Thanjavur has few pleasures to offer besides temples. However, I recently discovered Lakshmi Mess, a tiny one-room set-up run by Mama (see pic), as he is called affectionately by all. Its such a sweet and quaint place complete with switches that snap like the ones in old houses, the old transistor radio that blares, the wooden stools, the customary Kolam in front, the pictures of Gods, the low-hanging old ceiling fan...I was thrilled to see an ammi-kallu, the traditional coffee bean churner and an old grinder in the kitchen, with huge pots and pans - its been a while since I saw a traditional kitchen like that.. The whole place reminds me of the kitchens in south-indian homes of yesteryears.

Mama, an affectionate old grandpa with his customary poonal and dhoti is hard of hearing, but cooks awesome home-made food, which costs pittance by the way. I shall gladly pay 5 times more to get such good food in such a peaceful setting.

I just cant get enough of the place. My boss Ajay (in the pic on the left) & I are regular visitors and its truly a treat to have hot dosas and idlis on banana leaves with amazing coffee after a hard day's work, contentedly watching Mama cook for us, listening to the radio.....heaven on earth indeed !!!

No comments:

Snap Shots

Get Free Shots from Snap.com

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP