.

.

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Obrouni

OBROUNI !!! - Wherever I go in Ghana, thats how people call me and how they refer to me. It means “White Woman”. I’m not white by any standards, brown maybe, but that doesnt matter because according to the people here - If you are not black, you are white.

Oddly enough, I feel discriminated against because of my fairer color. What disturbs me most is that every single person uses the phrase, even small children, without exception.

I sometimes wonder, in a world that tends to discriminate against people because of their darker skin, aren’t Ghanaians reinforcing it against themselves? Why would they do that?

My boss put this rosy spin on it by saying that they call me “Obrouni” not in a disrespectful way, but in a friendly way. Its true actually! People tend to treat you better because you are “Obrouni”.

But I still feel discriminated against! Why? Because they are setting me apart from them (No, DONT tell me that I AM different from them).

Because at the end of the day, calling someone by their color is racist!

Or maybe I’m just getting grumpy in life!

5 comments:

lostworld said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
VJ said...

@ Lostworld - The language is called Twi (pronounced tree). Will mail you about the painting, thanks! :)

lostworld said...

Obrouni is white woman in which African language? What an interesting experience for you .. Living in Africa I mean. Have always wanted to visit. Now I can virtually through your blog :-)

Btw, thank you for your interest in my painting. I am honestly touched. If you are serious about buying, we can work out the logistics and discuss further.

SG said...

Very well written. Kind of got a giggle out of it. I am from Tamilnadu living in California for a long time. I am not fair or very dark. I am a darkish brown.

At a party, couple of black girls were admiring my skin color.

Where do I go and punch my head!

VJ said...

@ SG - It is amusing to be considered white, isnt it ? :) But here no one even calls me by my name, its always "Obrouni" :(

Snap Shots

Get Free Shots from Snap.com

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP